The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORWICH: Mousehold Heath Green Hairstreaks

23rd April 2011

A target species for me this spring was Green Hairstreak butterfly, a species that I haven't seen for years. I went to Mousehold Heath and after searching most of the open areas I managed to locate three hairstreaks. One promptly disappeared into the Ether, but I tracked the other two as they led me a merry dance around the gorse. In over an hour they never once settled on a flower, instead taking regular breaks above head height on a Silver Birch. I had almost given up getting a decent photo when one of them (obviously feeling guilty) indulged me by settling at eyeline long enough to get a few pictures. On my way back I saw a number of Green Tiger Beetles, another species from my Adder-watching youth.


No comments:

Post a Comment