The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available here.

NORWICH: Mousehold Heath Green Hairstreaks

23rd April 2011

A target species for me this spring was Green Hairstreak butterfly, a species that I haven't seen for years. I went to Mousehold Heath and after searching most of the open areas I managed to locate three hairstreaks. One promptly disappeared into the Ether, but I tracked the other two as they led me a merry dance around the gorse. In over an hour they never once settled on a flower, instead taking regular breaks above head height on a Silver Birch. I had almost given up getting a decent photo when one of them (obviously feeling guilty) indulged me by settling at eyeline long enough to get a few pictures. On my way back I saw a number of Green Tiger Beetles, another species from my Adder-watching youth.


No comments:

Post a Comment