The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

WHITLINGHAM: Mandarin & Goosander

20th August 2015

Earlier whilst at Whitlingham I didn't have my binoculars with me, so other than a cursory glance on the Great Broad I didn't really look too hard for birds. Luckily Justin went for a proper look later in the evening, and I got a phone call to say that he had found a female Mandarin at the far end of the Little Broad. Cathy & I went back to have a look, and saw it swimming along the edge of the broad, actively catching flies.

Mandarin (record shot!)

Further round Justin had also located the Goosander on the river, which despite being in the area a while now I had yet to catch up with. Having dropped Cathy back home I returned for a third time and set off for the far corner of the country park. On the river near the boat club the Goosander was still present, along with a pair of Great-crested Grebes and a small group of Mallards. Further round in the conservation area bay the only bird of note was the female Wigeon that I first saw last month.


Also of note were a flock of House Martins and a few Swallows over the car park.

No comments:

Post a Comment